Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ricky Rick Returns To Lake Fork

After a 10 year hiatus, I have returned to the Top Bass Lake in the world, Lake Fork

The lake now looks DRASTICALLY different. Most of the trees I remember are no longer visible! Of course, what that means is that they have succumbed to weathering and decomposition and are now somewhere, at the bottom of the lake...making Lake Fork's fishing that much better by affording underwater structure for the enormous bass to ambush shad and other creatures. However, this same under water timber also provides the bass' prey cover and protection from wandering predators.

Although most of the timber I remember from a decade ago appears to gone, this does not mean that Lake Fork is cleared out enough to welcome jet or water skiers. This is still a significantly dangerous lake when not traveling in the designated boat lanes.

I spent Labor Day Weekend (8/31/2013-9/2/2013) at the lake. I arrived Saturday, checked into http://hooklineandsinkerlf.com off State Highway 154 in Quitman, Texas. The room was extremely large, had a small refrigerator and DirectTV (no movie channels), although the tv itself could hardly be seen due to its diminutive size and the height of the shelf it sat on. The room did NOT have a phone, which would not have been an issue if A. I received cell service (att and t-mobile) or B. the wi-fi password I was given would have worked... oh well.

Now, let's get to the fishing.

My father and I decided to fish little Caney Creek Sunday and had very little luck, although the catfish angling seemed to be in the 'good' range. Sunday was extremely hot (105+), which made the fishing slow for us. However, the following day, Monday saw significant amounts of over-night and mid-morning storms which drastically cut the temperature and extended the morning bite.

We experienced some luck crank-baits, and not much else. Silver/Blue 3/4 oz rattle trap and 1/2 oz KVD shad produced for us, although the fish were in or just below the slot. A lot of fun, but no Fork Monsters...yet...

I will be back out this weekend (9/7/13), armed with additional lure knowledge and lures (Lake Fork Soft Plastics) http://www.lftlures.com/ - I URGE you to check them out.. expecially the little baby creature and hyper freaks... I will fill you in on my experience next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment